Monday, July 28, 2008

Un-Learning Corporate Skills

Yeah, the title of this post is a little absurd.... This is not a "Guide to Dealing Professionally", incase you thought it was. I am just going to add my Reminder Points (so I can look them up again) - picked up over the jobs I held until now and the roles I have seen people play. :-) The Number One rule is my favourite, though I never agreed with it personally in my younger days. :-))

1. There is no place for any emotions in the Workplace. (Your Tears ... fears ... sentiments ... and feelings are better placed elsewhere).

2. Do not expect anything from anyone. Its easier said than done, but I guess, this is the best way to avoid being pained for anything.

3. Share only about yourself. Even by mistake, do not share your opinion of anyone - however close your-so-called-friends may make you feel. That way, you save yourself 2 pains - One - Of having said something you shouldn't have and Two - Of having shared something with someone who may not even feel the way you do. :-) Opinions Change, Opinions Differ.

4. Remember, in the Corporate World, everyone is "More or Less - an Acquaintance". Do not work/worry/bother to create friendships. Who seems a friend today, may not be so, in the long run. Save yourself the trouble of saying what you feel like saying. Ask yourself - "Do I need to say anything at all?" before you open yourself to others.

5. Trust everyone equally. Special trust is Only for yourself, God and your Manager. ;-) Jus kidding. Observe how people deal with each other, what level of sharing they do. No harm in sharing your views on general topics. Anything personal, do you need to share?

6. Remember, You hold your position firstly because of the work you put in. Ensure you give your best there and better it each time you have something to do. Everything else is secondary.

7. Do not Value yourself based on other's opinion. Similarly, do not go by someone else's opinion for anyone. Find out for yourself. Start positively.

8. Last but most important. Look for the "Positive Forte's" of your colleagues. Try to imbibe the same and move on.

Officially - What I know, what I don't know --- no longer matters. I have matured, finally.

* Inspite of all my new wisdom, I have made profound friendships at my job places earlier. I value all of them. I have begun to change my thinking to the extent that, if an acquanitance has to move one step ahead and change into anything of value - it would happen. I do not have to go through the 'thought-process' of 'how good/bad a friend an acquaintance really is'. Be natural, be myself while I am here. Thats all that matters, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good things to follow. Good analogy but everyone doesn't follow all the points mentioned.
After all, we are human beings.

People shud have broadmind and shudn't live with in a bubble.

Menka said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention name.

Its VJ

Aanandi said...

Good one Menaka. Main thing which attracted me is your sincere effort to write on it.Many times, we ignore these rules and fall into troubles. good work...bravo!