Friday, July 11, 2008

Taaray Zameen Par and My Moon

Wonderful Movie, already acknowledged as a Class apart from the rest. I felt it is an eye-opener for parents, especially relevant in our times when the kids are mostly being marketed and showcased. The children being the soft targets of all advertisements and the pushy-parents who wish to see them soar (higher than their own achievements). Strange, how we parents seem to have started measuring our success as parents by the achievements we showcase of our kids. How tough it is to be a child in this Generation then! We grow with them, in a way... and am sure, many parents grew with this movie that brings alive the childhood, not just the needs of a special child.

Guess, its time to stand back and look at the world with the little ones, through their eyes; instead of forcing our glasses on them. Let them shade their own lens, let them build their own vision, let us just enhance what they see; not show them what we see/want them to see. Can we hold their little fingers and still walk in their pace, without pulling them to walk faster???

Leaving aside what I think of the movie, let me pen down how it touched my little one. Sahil loved the "Bum Chik" song. As most other kids, he doesn't like the 'Ma....' song where Enu cries. For few days, after we saw the movie, he was comparing himself to Enu. One day, I was surprised, when I was making him wear his shoes, he says, "Enu mummy make him wear shoes know!" I had almost forgotten the specific scene when she hurries him to school (I do that everyday too!) but yes, I was touched when my son remembered that.

Watching that movie has made me more aware of the 'childlike curiosity' that my son displays now and then. As it is, sometimes I feel, I am a very emotional parent. Seeing the world with Enu's eyes...was tough... but it has become much more beautiful ever since; as I stand and watch my son grow(instead of pushing and pulling him). I am learning to give in to my child's demands to tie his shoes himself, eat his food himself even though all it takes is a little time and spill-over. :-) I want him to grow at his own pace. As Aamir says, "Every little ant carries the load according to himself".

I have mostly shown the Moon to Sahil, unintentionally on Full Moon days. Looking at the moon few evenings ago, Sahil says in a little sad voice, "Mumma, see, Broken moon." :-) Had fun telling him, he will grow too!

No comments: