Thursday, August 7, 2008

Niketa Mehta's Case - My views as a Woman and Mother

By God's grace, I have a healthy child.

Even then, I have always felt and understood how difficult it is for parents of a 'unhealthy' child to bring up the same. Not just the financial crisis, there is so much of emotional pain involved too. I understand, once born, the child needs dedication and care. As a parent, I am sure, all of us want and pray for healthy babies. Why then, we fail to support the Mehtas? Only because they have approached the Court? Or is it because we are as it is against abortion, even though its advised on medical grounds? The issue as I understand is basically, do the parents-to-be have the right to decide? As the law stands, No. Why???? Why don't we allow the parents-to-be to decide? Who is anyone else to decide what is right or wrong for them or their family?

Whatever be the law, as a woman and as a mother - only thing I can understand is... If I have to undergo the emotional torture of tearing myself apart to decide to end the life that's blossoming within me - I alone must be allowed to decide. Why should I have to look upon anyone else - other than my partner (at the maximum) to take the decision? Am I a selfish woman? Why do I have to Sacrifice what I feel is best, for Society or Court? Don't we tell ourselves to go with our gut feeling in most cases? Then, as a mother, if I feel for my child and I do not want to let my child suffer in future (once it comes to this world), why am I not thought capable of deciding? How can anyone else judge what I feel or not feel? How can I find sense in the "Hopefully, child will be born fine. If not also, parents must be willing to take care." It is because the parents are
willing to take care, we are thinking and feeling in the first place. Why is this abortion plea being looked upon as "shunning responsibility"? Why are we failing to see - the common sense?

Isn't it common sense not to bring a life into this world that would suffer? That would be dependent? That would cause pain to himself and the parents through the sorrow it would suffer?

Isn't it easy to just watch others battle out the sensitive issue? We would be doing just that, right, when the parents struggle with their baby (true, baby MIGHT be perfectly formed, but as of now, there are 'least' chances of that)... Who are we or the court to decide? Is the Court or the Judge the ultimate parent who is going to see 'his-own-born' suffer? Have you brought a child to this world to even know a bit of what it means?... Why do we fail to see that even the parents who approached the court, would have broken-their-own-heart to take the decision from their side in the first place? How can we be heart-less enough to say - as they are not attached to the child - they can give the child to some NGO when the child is born?

How many unknown abortions are taking place all over the world? Who is being held accountable for that? Why then, in this case, its becomes so much of an ethical drama? Please. Let the mum decide!

At this point I began thinking of re-organizing my thoughts (for better readability)...and I checked out other posts that had been written for the same case. Check this out for a comprehensive sumary... <http://elekhni.com/2008/08/abortion-and-the-niketa-mehta-case/>

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Menka,

I am Richa from SiliconIndia. I am also an avid blogger for a while now and participating actively in Indian blogosphere. I read your blog posting and found them very interesting and informative. We would love to see a copy of your blogs posted here, whenever you are posting it on blogger.com. Here are some of the benefits of posting your blogs here:

We have a strong community of 500,000 Indian professionals
Best blogs of 2008 to be published in a book "SiliconIndia bLoG PrinT"
Best blog to be printed in SliconIndia & SmartTechie magazines each month
Chance to be featured on homepage everyday

We appreciate your community initiative here and in helping build a more powerful India! Also, if you have any ideas or want to volunteer to help for SiliconIndia, we would be more than excited to get your help. Pls mail me back at richa@siliconindia.com with your suggestions and feedback.

Richa
Blog Editor – SiliconIndia

Menka said...

Will mail you. Thanks! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thats because Menka - a foetus after 24 weeks is technically a baby and it would treated as infanticide in many countries. I think it is down to the couple not wanting to take on the responsibility of a child with health problems and I don't see much difference to how people get rid of female foetuses as they want boys rather than girls. Two of my friends had their babies born prematurely at 25 weeks which goes to prove that this would be killing a baby. Frankly quite shocked at people's attitudes about children with disabilities calling them a financial burden.what happens if a child is born healthy but has an accident or life threatening illness ? what would you suggest the parents should do then?Leave them in a orphanage?