Thursday, July 8, 2010

Review - "Over the Rainbow" Collection of Plays

Yeah, this one is for me and my friends... and maybe the kids and parents of the kids who were a part of the "Over the Rainbow" collection of plays.

In 3 words - "It was AWESOME!"

As the same plays were showcased on all the three days (2/3/4 July 2010), I watched it all on all the days and still, just have one thing to say - It was worth watching. Not because my son was a part of "Noddy" but because it was a collection showcased by kids of all age-groups. It was delightful to watch cute "Noddies" (there were two 'Noddy' characters as the skit was a long one), Mr Sparks (Nikhil), Tessie Bear, Big Ears (Sahil) and of course, Sly (Neil) and Gobbo. Both the "Noddy" boys were cute little fellows, though Adam (the first Noddy) was such a roly-poly that one would fall in love with him by just watching him in Noddy's outfit.Let me put the snaps of "Noddy" characters here. I didn't get them all, but here it is...

Sahil - Backstage

 Noddy

Noddy and Tessie Bear

Noddy - Waiting for a friend
Give it to me, Sly!
Noddy with Mr. Sparks!
Noddy and Big Ears - Video


The show started with a boy around 6/7 years old addressing the crowd. This opening was followed by a song from 'Ciara'. She sang it in a very soothing voice and set the mood for remaining silent happily. Then came 'Noddy and the Listening Game'.

This was played by kids only 5/6 years old but the way they carried themselves and the play, you would look twice to convince yourself. Nikhil was very cute as Mr Sparks when he mumbled his lines (he was the youngest of the lot, I guess); ending it with "Busy, Busy, Busy." It was fun to watch him go backwards to exit the stage, instead of going over to the other end. :)

When Noddy characters took over from one another, the first Noddy was to give second Noddy his cap and exit the stage. On the first two days, it was a faultless transition. On the last day, the cap was forgotten to be handed over. :( But you know, as we parents and relatives waited, wondering what would the second Noddy do (when Martha monkey walks upto him and makes sounds by touching the pom-pom of his cap)... the kids outsmarted us! Even though the second Noddy's cap was absent, Martha monkey enacted her part pretending the cap was very much there!! I truly didn't expect this finesse and was pleasantly surprised. The audience clapped as I am sure, they were as happy as I was that the kids didn't go bizarre.

The first day of the show, my dear Sahil slipped and feel just as he entered onto the stage. I was sorry and wondering if he would forget his lines due to the accident. He had forgotten his story once during Story-telling as he was pushed onto stage at his school. As I waited, my son picked himself up quickly and perfomed his part without any miss! Wasn't I excited, boy!

The fun was still to continue. As he went backstage after his role-play, forgetting that he is wearing the mike on his clothes, he announced to his teacher, "Ma'am, I just slipped and I fell." It was funny to hear the backstage dialogue while Noddy was going on the stage. :)

Tessie Bear, Martha Monkey, Goblins, Mr. Plod (and everyone else) played their roles with perfection. Of course there was a child-like curiosity as to when what would happen... but it was a different world altogether. Watching kids enact their lines was a treat.

After Noddy, it was time for "Oliver Twist".
.... To be continued.

3 comments:

deepa ravi said...

Hey! I chanced upon this blog! You made my day!! :). I'm Martha Monkey's mom and yes I was so tense about what she was going to do. But was amazed that she did managed it so coooly!!! Thanks for making my day! :))

Menka said...

@Deepa: Thanks. :) I am glad too! The kids deserve it all... (read clap clap clap)

deepa ravi said...

are you continuing for Shrek? Did not see you last week at Vidhya Sagar. I was telling the other Noddy moms about your blog and they were all thrilled! :)