Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Some of Our Chats

Long pending update. :) Here are some of the chats between my little fellow and his mom (me!)

White Shoes:

S: Mumma, today white trousers and white shoessss?
M: Yes shona.
S: Why, mumma?
M: Its Monday na today, that's y.
S: Oh, okay. Then, tomomorrow? (yeah, that's how he says tomorrow!)
M: Tomorrow, you will wear blue shorts and black shoes.
S: How do you know, mumma? (Does he think I don't have a brain? ;))
M: Shonu, it's Tuesday na tomorrow, that's y.
S: Oh okay. How do you know, Tuesday tomomorrow?
M: Shonuuu! Today is Monday, then Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday, Friday,Saturday, Sunday and again Monday will come. That's how days are.
S: Okay mumma. (little silently this time, I end up thinking, did I react little strongly to the last question!?!)

Without a minute's pause, S: Why it is Monday today? :-)

Can you answer why a day is what day it is!??!

While playing with his dad:

S: Mumma, papa is pushinggg meeeee.
M: Why shonu? what happened?
S: I don't know.
M: What did you do? Why is papa pushing you?
S: I did not do yennything ('anything'). Papa is simpleee pushing me.
M: Papa is simply pushing you? Wait, I'll ask Papa why he is pushing you.
J: We are playing. (No justification, just facts!)
S: No mumma. When we playing know, I pushed papa. Then, papa pushing me nicely. I not playing with papa, but papa is simply pushing me. (---Am thinking --- Means, so long as he is winning, it's all okay? When he begins to get pushed, he isn't playing anymore! I have to instill the importance of playing - not just winning...)
M: :-) Okay, don't play. You come to the kitchen with me.
J: Good.
S: Not good papa. Come, let's fight.
M: I am going to the kitchen. If you get hurt again don't come crying to me. Okay?
S: Okay. I not cry. I am big boy know. I fight with papa. See. I am strong. Come papa. Let's fight. See my musssels (muscles)! (provokes for fighting! true ninja!)

The nonsense fun continues. :-)

While eating food

S: I don't want more mumma. My stomach is full. Touch and see.
M: Little more shonu. Last time?
S: I aten (ate + en = past tense of eaten) fully mumma.
M: :-) Okay.

After 5 minutes:
S: Mumma, give me more food mumma. When I finish my food know, papa is going to give me something special.
M: Hmm, okay. You will become big and strong also...when you finish your food.
S: I am big and strong mumma. I am dinking complan everyday. Yessss. (by the time I am publishing this, he says drinking properly.)

On passing by Naani's Ex-house:

S: We not going to naani's house?
M: Saku, I told you, naani is staying with us now, right? So we will go to our house.
S: Somebody is there in naani house? Tell me mumma. (He partly remembers what I had explained the last time he had asked me this question.)
M: Yes shonu. Now, someone else is staying in naani's house. So, we can't go and stay there.
S: Oh okay. Why mumma?
M: What 'why' sahil? I told you na, the house-owner has asked someone else to stay there.
S: Oh okay, that's why naani staying in our house?
M: yes saku.Now our house is naani's house also.
S: Oh okay. That is papa's house alcho. Correct mumma?
M: My darling baby. yes. It's everyone's house.
S: but ajay, nikhil, debbie not staying in our house. correct mumma? (I feel like screaming.... the other kids at creche stay in their houses, why will they stay in ours!!?!)

3 comments:

Radz said...

"Why it is Monday today?"-now this is what is called as the re-search brain.,that we lose track of ,as we grow up..this one line of u'r son's set me to think as to how much we have just accepted things and have almost stopped questioning or trying to understand anything...it's indeed a great idea dat u r recording this beautiful moments..keep at it..wud love to read more:-)
Radhika

Anonymous said...

Childrens are real stress busters. i like the way you express, i mean i can picturize the whole thing... I also feel, answering to all their questions are very important. Most of the indian parents fails to do so and some parents yell at their childrens if they ask too many questions. so their curiosity to explore new things dies there or their thinking patterns starts changing. ok, i dont want to get into too much psychological :-)

I just enjoy your writing, so pls update your blog often ;-) Senthil

Menka said...

Thanks Radhika and Senthil. Both of you are right - its silly that we call 'silent acceptance' as maturity and the importance of answering the 'seemingly silly' questions! :) Am updating more...
Regards,
Menka